By Lola Fajemirokun
Today March 8th is International Women’s Day and it is amazing that there is a day set aside to celebrate women. This holiday was first observed in 1909 in the USA when the Socialist Party of America designated a day to honor women that protested against working conditions as garment workers in New York.
Here are 10 facts that (may) prove that women have super powers (per factretriever.com):
- The two highest IQ scores in recorded history belong to women. You may want to read that again….
- Although male brains are 9% larger than female brains, both have the same amount of brain cells. The brain cells in women merely pack together more densely. Even our body is more efficient and organized than that of men.
- In the last sixteen years, a single woman has surmounted Mount Everest seven times, more times than any other woman on earth
- Women first began to wear heels in order to imitate men, who started donning high heels in the 1600s as a sign of their masculinity and status.
- The nearer a mother lives to the equator, the more likely she is to give birth to a baby girl as opposed to a baby boy.
- Because of the high production of estrogen during puberty, girls’ brains generally mature two years earlier than boys’.
- Women, even from infancy, are generally more interested in facial expressions, emotional tones in voices, and non-verbal cues than men. That’s right, we rock even as babies.
- During WWII, a female African American performer transported hidden messages to French soldiers through sheet music covered in invisible ink. Whatttt?!
- On average, women live 2–5 years longer than men, a fact which holds true in every country in the world. This isn’t limited to human beings; female orangutans and chimpanzees also outlive their male counterparts.
- The earliest known female physician lived in ancient Egypt around 2700 B.C
In the 1940s, women in the United States advertised products to gain weight and thus become more ideally curvy and beautiful. “Men wouldn’t look at me when I was skinny,” said one advertisement, “but since I gained 10 pounds this new, easy way, I have all the dates I want. It’s funny how we all want to lose weight now…. Men are indecisive.
If you are a woman, be proud, be confident, love yourself.
A big shout out to the McDonald restaurant in Lynwood California that flipped their iconic sign upside down in celebration of International Women’s Day. (read here)